It is one of the oldest districts of Şanlıurfa. The population is 189 thousand 174 according to the data of TUIK in 2016. The surface area is 1,843 square meters and the height from the sea is 620 meters. The E-90 highway known as the Historical Silk Road passes through the district center.
This road connects Şanlıurfa province to Iraq via Silopi Habur gate. Viransehir has 2 subdistricts, 114 villages, 241 mezra and a town. Livelihood of the people is agricultural sector and animal husbandry.
Tella Martyrion (Dikmeler)
It is one of the most important structures of the Christianity period of Şanlıurfa. It is estimated that the octagon planned building was constructed in the memory of a saint in the 4th or 5th century. Although there were originally eight columns, only one of them has been able to survive. There stood 6 columns in pictures taken by the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.
İbrahim Pasha Mansion
The mansion was constructed by National Chieftain and Hamidiye Regiments Commander Ibrahim Pasha between 1905 and 1907. This historical building, which is also known as Pasha Mansion and Paşalar School, has been used with educational purposes for many years. The building which was abandoned to its fate in the 1970s was restored in 2005. This magnificent stone building today serves as Viranşehir District Library.
In terms of faith tourism, Eyyubnebi village is one of the most important spots of Şanlıurfa. This village, in the northeast of Viranşehir, is 20 km away from Viranşehir city centre and approximately 100 km away from Şanlıurfa. There are shrines of Prophet Job’s wife Rahime and Prophet Elisha. According to the legend, it is believed that the rock which Prophet Elisha rested his back while enjoying sun lies here. This massive basalt stone is known as “Perseverance Stone” and is enshrined by the Muslims.
You can reach this castle, which is called Çemdin or Çimdin, by going 9km after turning south on the 61st km of Şanlıurfa-Viranşehir Road. It is estimated that this castle, which is surrounded by deep ditches, was constructed in the Ayyubid Period (12th century). There is a shrine inside the castle. According to its script, this shrine belongs to Mesut Ali, son of İbrahim who was one of the prophet’s descendants. Under the western entrance of the castle, there are deep and large caves. There is also water well in the castle.